If You Have Been Contacted by the Police and Believe You Might be the Subject of an Investigation
- You only have to tell the Police your name and address
- Tell the Police Officer you do not want to talk, you want to remain silent.
- Tell the Police Officer you want a lawyer and you will not say anything else until your lawyer is present.
- If the Police are physically present, always keep your hands in their view, never put your hands in your pockets. The Police get very nervous when they cannot see your hands.
- If the Police ask for your consent to search you or your home, tell them that you do not consent. However, if the Police conduct a search, do not resist.
If a Friend of Family Member Has Just Been Arrested or Questioned by the Police
It is important that you immediately seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney to protect the legal rights of your friend or family member. Unless the person arrested is a minor, and you are the parent, you cannot stop the Police from questioning your friend or family member, only an attorney can do that. To assist the criminal defense lawyer in protecting your legal rights or those of your friend or family member, it is important that you be able to tell the lawyer how to locate you, your friend or family member.
If the Police have arrested your friend or family member, click here to obtain the telephone numbers and addresses of the New York City Police Precincts. If you speak with a police officer, make sure to get the Arrest Number of your friend or family member.
If your friend or family member is already in the Court system, click here to obtain the telephone number of the New York City Arraignment Clerks for the New York City Criminal Courts.
If you need information on how to select a qualified criminal defense attorney, click here for a helpful series of articles on this topic.
If You Want Updated Information on the Progress of Your Case or Have Forgotten Your Next Court Date
Click here if you have a pending criminal case in New York State .
Click here if you have a pending civil case in New York State
If You Want to Locate a Friend or Family Member Who is Incarcerated
Click here to locate your Friend or Family Member in New York State custody
Click here to locate your Friend or Family Member in New York City custody
Click here to locate your Friend or Family Member in Federal custody
If you need directions to our Law Offices
Click here for directions to our Midtown Office, located at 369 Lexington Avenue , 15 th Floor, New York , New York 10017
Click here for directions to our Chinatown Office, located at 31-33 Market Street , New York , New York 10002